What's the Difference Between Rubber Sole and Plastic Sole?
Who does not like comfortable footwear? We tend to choose footwear best suited to multiple seasons and is long-lasting? Most footwear tends to be season-specific and is prone to wear and tear with the change of weather—ideal footwear ticks on all three aspects, including shape, style, durability and material.
Most footwear and sandals are made of rubber soles or plastic soles. But which one is best suited for the monsoon? Read the entire article till the end to decide whether plastic sole shoes or rubber sole footwear are best for you.
What is the sole of footwear?
The sole of the footwear is an important part which forms the bottom part of the shoe, which comes in direct contact with the ground. Hence it is also known as an outsole. It is made of different materials like leather, rubber, plastic, and PVC compounds, depending on the styling and purpose. In short, the footwear sole determines the shoe's durability and how long it will last.
What is Rubber Sole?
Rubber sole shoes is known for its grip and slips, making it a good choice during monsoons. Thus it is much easier to work on surfaces in muddy and wet environments and reduces the task of changing the socks again and again.
Different types of rubber soles include:
Thermoplastic rubber soles are used across footwear like wedges, boots, sports shoes and clogs, providing flexibility and elasticity.
- Natural rubber that is used by multiple footwear industries
- Synthetic rubber – These are supplements for synthetic rubbers and rubber compounds that are more durable and water-resistant, which prevents water from seeping inside the shoes.
- Other rubber soles include Polychloroprene, SBS rubber (Polu(styrene-butadiene-styrene) rubber, Silicone, and Polyisobutylene.
What is Plastic Sole?
Plastic sole footwear formally originated during World War II in Germany. These are environmental protection materials and help in hydrolysis. Besides, these are lightweight, spray foam molding, and resistant to wear and tear. However, they are not slip-resistant.
Types of plastic soles
- PVC plastic soles
- PU plastic soles
Significant Differences Between Rubber Sole and Plastic Sole
What makes rubber soles different from plastic soles? Let us have a quick sneak peek on their USPs:
|Rubber Sole||Plastic Sole|
|It is high in density that makes them safer on different surfaces than plastic soles||It is wear-resistant and adapt to different kinds of environments|
|Anti-slip effect & Comfortable to walk : It is safe on slippery surfaces.||It is lightweight and easy to shape|
|It is resistant to abrasions and provide a better comfort.||It is temperature sensitive, and has poor low slip resistance|
|They are wear and tear resistant and stable in varying degrees of temperature||It is more suitable for sandal soles, beach soles and leisure soles|
Which type of sole material is best for footwear?
Each sole material has its advantages. While a rubber sole provides excellent traction on rounds and is also durable, a plastic sole is flexible and lightweight. On the other hand, a rubber sole works well on surfaces providing safety against chemicals and melting in high temperatures. At the same time, soles made of polyurethane allow absorbing shocks and better insulation on the ground.
Advantages of Wearing Rubber Sole Footwear?
- It provides a firm grip on the ground and comprises steel caps that prevent foot accidents from any heavy objects.
- It tends to be slip-resistant that offers proper grip on treacherous surfaces.
- It is advantageous over oil and a watery surface. Thus, you can walk safely in a muddy, wet, slippery environment.
- Protects when exposed to high temperature – it protects your shoe from harmful chemicals, cement and acids preventing burns on your foot.
Benefits of wearing plastic sole footwear
- It is durable and long-lasting
- It provides resistance to abrasions
- It avoids the penetration of water into its surface
- It is environmentally friendly and provides a better grip
Which type of sole is best for monsoon footwear?
Rubber soled footwear is best monsoon footwear when walking over the damp surface, during the rainy season. They provide a better grip on different surfaces against muddy and slippery grounds, thereby preventing falls.
Paaduks is known for its range of rubber sole footwear for monsoon made of upcycled waste rubber, making it earth-friendly. Its 8mm sole provides a good grip and support and absorbs shocks better than any other type of sole. Besides, they are water-resistant and offer good support in high-flow scenarios.
Which sole is better pvc or rubber?
Let's find out which sole is better, PVC or Rubber?. Rubbers are earth-friendly, which with their denser surface provides a better grip. On the other hand, it protects the feet from any burns due to acids or chemicals. In addition, footwear made of upcycled waste rubber is eco-friendly shoes, which helps to smoothly walk on slippery and muddy surfaces compared to plastic soles.
FAQs - Rubber Sole and Plastic Sole
- Are plastic soles good?
- Plastic soles are known for their durability. It is light on the feet and affordable.
- Which sole is comfortable?
A rubber sole is more comfortable, flexible, and shock-resistant on a hard surface.
- What makes a shoe durable?
A footwear’s insole and outsole are essential components that prove its durability. Besides, the shape of the shoe, the material used, and the sole determine how long it will last.
- Are thicker soles better?
Yes. A thicker sole provides better support than a flat surface. The 8mm sole is known for its support and grip during monsoons.
- Which type of sole is most comfortable, rubber or plastic?
A rubber sole is more comfortable compared to plastic. It is pliable and provides a better grip than plastic and leather soles when exposed to wet and oily surfaces.
- Are rubber soles waterproof?
Yes. Rubber soles are anti-skid and waterproof. It is resistant to wear and tear and prevents fall when walking on damp grounds.
- Which sole material is best in monsoon?
Most monsoon footwear comprises rubber or plastic soles that assist in repelling the water and keeping the feet dry.