How Vegan Shoes Can Reduce Our Carbon Footprint?
Did you know the global temperature is steadily rising, leading to melting glaciers? Human activities are a prime reason for adding to the global carbon level and greenhouse gas emissions. Herein, choosing sustainable and eco-friendly fashion, footwear and products reduce the overall carbon footing in nature.
This article particularly highlights the impact of footwear on nature and how to reduce carbon footprinting in nature.
What is a Carbon Footprint?
Carbon footprint determines the amount of CO2 or greenhouse gases released into the atmosphere due to human actions. Below is a bifurcation of,
- Use of fossil fuels
- Manufacturing goods made from animal products
- Burning gasoline when driving vehicles
- Burning gas for heating home
- Using electricity generated from oil, natural gas and coal
- Construction of buildings
What's the Impact of Carbon Footprint on the environment?
Carbon footprinting includes releasing harmful greenhouse gases, including methane and carbon dioxide, that negatively impact the environment. As an ecosystem, everything is interconnected; thus, every action impacts the surrounding. It includes:
- It is the major cause of human-induced climate change
- It leads to increased air pollution
- It causes coastal and ocean acidification
- It fastens the melting of glaciers and polar ice
Best Ways to Reduce Carbon Footprint:
Minimizing carbon footprint will help save the environment from the increasing damage of climate change and other impacts. Furthermore, reducing the release of greenhouse gases will contribute to fighting against the evils of climate change, lessen ecological threats and much more. The best ways to reduce carbon footprint include:
- Opt for renewable resources: Switch to greener sources of energy such as wind, solar and hydroelectricity.
- No to animal products: Say no to products acquired from animal sources, which is a reason for increasing greenhouse gases in the environment.
- Reuse, recycle and upcycle: Reduce the overall wastage in the environment by reusing, recycling and upcycling products.
- Go the digital way of life: Move away from sharing printed documents and opt for online sources such as video conferencing, cloud storage, etc., which are sustainable and require less workplace travel.
How much Carbon Footprint is produced by Shoes?
According to a study done by Quantis, the footwear industry leads to 1.4% of greenhouse gas emissions globally. Furthermore, a pair of shoes tend to generate over 30 pounds of carbon dioxide, as per research done by MIT. Additionally, different types of footwear showed different percentages of carbon footprinting. For example, shoe models like sandals, etc., lead to 1.3 to 25.3 kg of CO2, which is on the higher side.
So, How do Shoes affect the environment?
The footwear industry adds up to 30 pounds of CO2 into the environment. On average, over 15 billion shoes are produced every year. Shoes made of materials like coal and fossil fuels tend to leave out harmful gases from decomposing. When thrown into the environment, these shoes start to leak harmful toxins into the soil, thereby increasing GHG emissions.
How can Vegan Shoes Reduce Carbon Footprint?
With increasing environmental issues, people are becoming aware of human activities' impact on the ecosystem.
For example, footwear made of plastic and animal products such as leather is prone to emitting more carbon dioxide and methane into the air. Herein, shoes that are biodegradable, sustainable and made of upcycled materials, such as vegan shoes, are eco-friendly and made of waste materials that are upcycled.
Choose Sustainable and Conscious fashion for Carbon Footprint Reduction
The fashion industry accounts for 10% of GHG on the planet. Choosing a sustainable and conscious fashion will help reduce the overall impact of carbon dioxide emissions on the ecosystem.
For example, Paaduks footwear is one of the first kinds of eco-friendly vegan shoe brands that contribute to reducing carbon footprint. Our products are designed with the aim of motivating people to opt for upcycled goods and thereby delay piling in landfills. Besides, the products are made of upcycled waste tyres and faux leather used with the aim of avoiding the incineration of tyres and thereby reducing CO2 emissions to a great extent.
Awareness of our activities and their impact on the environment is the first step towards creating a livable world for all creatures. Our one decision can contribute to reducing the massive increase in carbon footprint and shift global climate change. Choosing sustainable vegan shoes may seem like a small action, yet an impactful choice to reduce greenhouse emissions and give a prosperous future to the coming generations.